Friday, September 16, 2011

Oh to be straight-up paleo...

I uploaded a few pics from my iPhone tonight and came across a number of old pre-low-histamine-paleo food pics. It had me mourning the simple days of just eating a standard, delicious, care-free paleo way. Below is a walk down food memory lane...
I love lettuce wraps - so crisp and delicious! Can no longer have the mayo, leftover chicken or cheddar cheese. Or avocado.

Yummy - and easy - coconut shrimp soup from Mark Sisson's Quick and Easy Meals. Can no longer eat shrimp.

I believe I can have these cookies, but would have to sub out the dark chocolate chips for carob or simply go chip-less. You guessed it, cocoa is off limits when histamine intolerant.

Oh the glorious meat sauces. Loaded with histamine-rich tomatoes.

Well... I could still have the burger and the lettuce. No salsa or avocado.

Covering all the bases here. But today can have nothing from this place (leftover chicken, avocado, or strawberries).

Broccoli I still enjoy by the handfuls. Coconut crusted salmon, however, is on the banned list. (Perhaps if I caught the salmon myself and threw it directly on the grill in my boat I'd be okay...)

Sweet, sweet Bluefield bacon. How I miss thee.

Meat - check; salsa - check; avocado - check; spinach - check.  Another can't-have-anything-on-this-plate example (except the ground beef, if it were freshly cooked).

Another old fav from Bluefield - the healthy all natural, organic, local, all-beef hot dog. Only the lettuce here that remains on the roster.

Only the scallops here that pose a problem. And that reminds me I haven't done cauli-rice in a while...

There is almost nothing about your average (or non-average) pizza I can now ingest without inviting symptoms.

I believe this was a hotel breakfast of  bacon and eggs. I continue to go back and forth on the eggs... they should be okay from a histamine perspective, but not sure I can fully trust them. Bacon is definitely out.

Zucchini is all good, but not with the sausage, spinach and tomato its swimming with.

Wow - yet another full plate of histamine. Is it any wonder paleo pushed me over the edge?

Coconut shrimp. *Sigh*

This masterpiece came from Riverview Market. Basically sausage in a tidy bacon-coated package. Quite the treat. Quite the histamine.

Forgive me for whining. I promise to turn this mourning around into new and innovative low histamine, but paleo food ideas. But can you really blame me? Almost all of the paleo foods I've so enjoyed since February are high in histamine. Despite the increased energy, improved CrossFit performance, baby-weight-and-then-some weight loss, I can't take the skin issues. On the upside, I'm sticking with the paleo way of eating. Sure, it's a pared down approach, but I'm still better off for it. Even with these restrictions, I have no intentions of returning to grains, processed foods, etc.  I continue to hold out that eventually I'll clear my skin completely - to a point where I can slowly and gradually re-introduce some of these foods. With my eyes wide open (not watery and puffy).

No comments:

Post a Comment