Monday, March 31, 2014

First week on the autoimmune protocol (low histamine edition)

As written recently, I've decided to try to heal my eczema by following a low histamine version of the autoimmune protocol. I'm now on day eight, so thought I'd give an update on my progress, including my food diary and some observations from the week.

Food Diary (March 24 to 30, 2014)

Couple quick things first...
- I've been oil pulling with coconut oil every morning. No big revelations as yet.
- I've been supplementing daily with fish oil, probiotics, vitamin D, and liver pills
- The food is listed in no particular order and simply includes the ingredients
- I'm weening off the cortisone. I'll go a couple days without, but apply if I've had a big flare up or if it becomes difficult to bend my fingers/make a fist. I know I'll have to get off it to truly see any impact from this approach.

DAY 1
10:00 - Ground beef, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, cilantro, garlic, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
12:40 - Ground beef, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, cilantro, garlic, coconut oil, EVOO; (organic gala) apple 
18:45 - Chicken thigh (with skin), bok choy, sweet potato, ginger, EVOO

DAY 2
9:15 - Apple (after fasting for blood work - I don't usually like to eat fruit in isolation - especially first thing in the day, but I'm pretty limited in food-to-go)
11:00 - Beef strips, broccoli, purple sweet potato, EVOO, cilantro
13:15 - Apple
14:50 - Raw carrots
18:15 - Ground beef, spaghetti squash, broccoli, asparagus, ginger, garlic, honey
19:00 - Apple

DAY 3
9:00 - Beef strips, broccoli, purple sweet potato, EVOO, cilantro
13:00 - Beef strips, bok choy, purple sweet potato, EVOO
14:00 - Two kale "muffins" (kale, honey, baking soda, carob powder, coconut oil, coconut flour, salt, modified from this recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie)
15:20 - A few green apple slices
17:30 - Roast beef, sweet potato, cauliflower, EVOO, fresh dill
19:40 - Apple
20:40 - Kale muffin

DAY 4
8:30 - Puree of cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cilantro, heavy cream (was from freezer, a bit of a dairy accident), garlic; apple
11:15 - Roast beef, cauliflower, sweet potato, EVOO, fresh dill, "leather" (apple, carrot, ginger) snack that Molly didn't like - it was very gingery); 1/2 kale muffin
13:00 - Raw carrots, apple
15:30 - Two kale muffins
17:15 - Raw carrots, ground beef, broccoli, bok choy, garlic, cilantro, sweet potato; apple

DAY 5
8:00 - Roast beef, cauliflower, sweet potato, EVOO, fresh dill
10:40 - Raw carrots
12:15 - Ground beef, broccoli, bok choy, garlic, sweet potato, cilantro, apple
18:15 - Chicken thigh, coconut aminos, celery, broccoli, asparagus, cilantro, carrots
19:35 - Apple

DAY 6
8:00 - Beef, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, coconut oil, cilantro, broccoli
[Fasted through lunch at an event with not one "allowed"piece of food.]
15:15 - Chicken thigh, coconut aminos, celery, broccoli, asparagus, cilantro, carrots; green apple; raw carrots and celery
18:30 - Roast beef, sweet potato, boy choy, zucchini, EVOO
20:15 - Apple, homemade beet chips

DAY 7
8:45 - Beet chips (they were a bit better having crispened overnight)
9:35 - Beef strips, Brussels sprouts, arugula, coconut aminos, EVOO
14:00 - Beef, zucchini, bok choy, sweet potato, EVOO
15:10 - Mango
17:10 - Beef, zucchini, broccoli, EVOO, raw carrots and celery
18:00 - Two kale muffins
19:15 - Green apple slices, raw carrots

I've been keeping rough notes on my skin condition as I go, including any flare ups along the way (only a few, with some mild itchiness here and there). Admittedly, I have trouble accepting that the itchiness doesn't disappear immediately and my skin improve steadily from day one on, but such is life.

Photo taken Friday, March 28, 2014

Photo taken Friday, March 28, 2014
  
On the upside, this extra clean spell has been a great reminder of how delicious real food is when your palate isn't tainted by extras. I literally find myself making "mmmm, mmm" noises throughout my meals. I've also been using this experience as an excuse to change up our veggies a bit. Not a whole lot above, but tonight we had roasted radishes and Chinese broccoli. I also have fennel and kolibri to try (cooking suggestions welcome). So there's always that...even if this doesn't send my eczema back where it came from :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment